Invited Speakers & Topics
The following is a tentative list of invited speakers and the proposed titles that will be covered at the conference.
|FUNDAMENTAL THEORY OF PHASE TRANSFORMATIONS
- John Cahn (NIST) "If motion of most solid-solid
interfaces results in shear, what are the conquences?"
- Mats Hillert ( Sweden) "Treatments of deviation from local equilibrium",
- Gary Purdy (McMaster) "The role of interfacial diffusion in solid-solid phase transformations"
- John Morrall ( Ohio State) "Phase changes in multiphase diffusion couples: a comparison of DICTRA and phase field predictions"
- Brent Fultz (CalTech) "Entropy of solid-solid phase transformations: contributions from internal dynamics"
- Armen Khachaturyan ( Rutgers) "Self-assembling of structure in phase transformations: theory and modeling"
- Georges Martin (Saclay) "Reconciling the classical theory of nucleation and atomic-scale observations and modeling"
- SanBoh Lee (NTHU) "Effect of chemical stress on diffusion"
- Roger Doherty (Drexel) "Nucleation processes in recrystallization: their history and current status"
- David Seidman (Northwestern) "Temporal evolution of microstructures on a nanoscale: experiments and simulation"
- David Wu (Yale) "Nucleation rate, kinetic potential, and the interfacial free energy"
- Alfred Cerezo ( Oxford) "Atomic-scale experimental and modeling studies of the early stages of precipitation"
- Tadashi Furahara ( Kyoto) "Nucleation on irrational interphase boundaries in diffusional phase transformations of steels"
- Barry Muddle (Monash) - "Heterogeneous nucleation and precipitation in aluminium alloys"
- Toru Miyazaki ( Nagoya) "Precipitate nucleation near the edge of the miscibility gap"
Growth and Interphase Boundary Structure
- Masato Enomoto ( Ibaraki) "Calculation of interfacial energy between alpha and gamma iron with near rational orientation relationship"
- Wenzheng Zhang (Tsinghua) "The role of interphase boundary structure in phase transformations"
- John Agren ( Sweden) "Phase-field modelling of phase transformations and surface-energy driven processes"
- W. Pfeiler ( Vienna) "Atom jumps in intermetallics: from bulk to thin films."
- David Morris ( Madrid) "Thermal and mechanical disordering of ordered alloys"
Spinodal and Ordering
- Bill Soffa (UVA) "Diffusional pathways in the decomposition of alloys"
- Harald Reichert (MPI Stuttgart) "X-ray diffraction studies of alloy decomposition"
- Valentin Vaks (Kurchatov Institute) "Studies of phase separation in alloys using the stochastic statistical approach''
- Gernot Kostorz (ETH Zurich) "Phase separation in alloys - experimental studies"
- Bob Hackenburg (LANL) "Influence of crystallography and solute partitioning on ferrite growth in steels"
- Srikumar Banerjee (BARC) "Phase transformations in Zr and Ti alloys"
- Alexis Deschamps ( Grenoble) "Characterization and modeling of non-isothermal precipitation in aluminum and steel"
- Erik Lauridsen (Risoe) "3D/4D investigations of sigma phase precipitation in superaustenitic stainless steel"
- J.-F. Nie (Monash) "Crystallography of precipitates in Mg-Al-Zn alloys"
- Helio Goldstein ( Sao Paulo) "Non classic eutectoid decomposition products morphologies in Fe-Cr-C and Fe-Cr-Mo-C steels"
- Guillermo Solorzano (PUC-Rio) "On the structural stability of grain boundary diffusion-controlled precipitation products"
- Sridhar Seetharaman (CMU) "Confocal scanning laser microscopy studies of austenite formation and decomposition in steels"
- Hub Aaronson (CMU) "Diffusional-displacive transformations: the anatomy of a confusing idea"
- T. Y. Hsu ( Shanghai) "Bainite formation under stress"
- Harry Bhadeshia ( Cambridge) "Low-temperature bainite"
- Eric Mittemeijer (MPI Stuttgart) "Kinetics of the massive transformation"
- Guenter Gottstein (Achen) "Transformation and recrystallization textures"
- Vijay Vasudevan (Cincinatti) "Overview of the massive transformation"
Recrystallization and Grain Boundaries
- Mikhail Mendelev (Ames Lab) "Computer simulation of grain boundary migration in impure systems"
- Doh-Yeon Kim ( Seoul) "Alternative mechanism of secondary recrystallization: solid-state wetting along grain boundaries or triple junctions"
- Soren Schmidt (Risoe) "Bulk investigations of grain boundary migration during recrystallization utilizing the 3DXRD microscope"
- Alex King (Purdue) "Roles of interfacial junctions in nucleation and growth processes"
Discontinuous (or Cellular) Reaction
- Pawel Zieba ( Krakow) "Fundamentals of interface migration during solid-state discontinuous reactions"
- Gray Shiflet (UVA) "The role of crystallography in pearlite formation"
- Peter Voorhees (Northwestern) "Coarsening in topologically complex systems"
- Pascal Bellon (UIUC) "Nanoscale self-organization of chemical order and composition in driven alloy systems"
- Frederic Soissen (CEA Saclay) "Kinetic Monte Carlo simulations of radiation induced segregation and precipitation phenomena"
Thermodynamics, Mechanism and Kinetics of Martensite Formation
- Alec Roytburd ( Maryland) "Modern state of our understanding of displacive phase transformations"
- Trevor Finlayson (Monash) "Martensite transformation at surfaces and interfaces"
- Tadashi Maki ( Kyoto) "Morphology and crystallography of martensite in ferrous alloys"
- Bob Pond ( Liverpool) "Comparison of the phenomenological and dislocation models of martensitic transformation"
- Julia Slutsker (NIST) "Diffusionless transformations in constrained films: theory, modeling, experiment"
- Nick Schryvers ( Antwerp) "TEM of martensitic transformations"
- Manfred Ahlers ( Argentina) "The martensitic transformation: mechanisms and stabilities"
Shape Memory Materials
- Manfred Wuttig (UMD) "Overview of shape memory alloys"
- Graeme Ackland ( Edinburgh) "Atomistic modelling of the shape memory effect",
- Qing-Ping Sun ( Hong Kong)) "Instabilities and pattern formation in NiTi shape memory alloy under mechanical loading"
- Peter Mullner ( Boise State) "Micromechanics of magnetic-field-induced twin boundary motion in Ni-Mn-Ga magnetic shape-memory alloys"
- R. Portier (ENSCP Paris) "Characterization and properties of shape memory alloys elaborated by non-conventional techniques"
- Tomoyuki Kakeshita ( Osaka) "Effect of magnetic field on conversion of martensite variants in ferromagnetic shape memory alloys"
Tempering, Aging and Stabilization
- Sung-Joon Kim (KIMM) "Precipitation behavior in high nitrogen austenitic stainless steels"
- Setsuo Takaki ( Kyushu) "Phase stabilization by ultra grain refinement in metastable austenite"
- Kaneaki Tsuzaki (NIMS) "Crystallography and hydrogen trapping of alloy carbides in steel"
|EXPERIMENTAL APPROACHES TO THE STUDY OF PHASE TRANSFORMATIONS
- David Williams (Lehigh) "Nanometer-scale microanalysis in the electron microscope and its role in phase transformations"
- Suresh Babu (ORNL) "Application of in-situ diffraction experiments to understand nonequilibrium phase transformations in structural alloys"
- Kevin Moore (LLNL) "The actinides"
- Masatomo Yashima (Tokyo IT) "Precise structural analysis and phase transformation of inorganic materials through high-temperature neutron and synchrotron powder diffractometry"
- David Prior ( Liverpool) "In-situ SEM of bcc-hcp transformations in Ti"
- George Spanos (NRL) "Three dimensional analysis of phase transformations in ferrous alloys"
- Vaclav Paidar (Czech) "Grain boundary migration observed in situ by synchrotron radiation"
|COMPUTER SIMULATION OF PHASE TRANSFORMATIONS
- Emmanuel Clouet (CEA Saclay), "Precipitation in Al-Zr and Al-Sc alloys: a comparison between kinetic Monte Carlo, cluster dynamics and classical nucleation theory"
- Duane Johnson (UIUC) " Reliable first-principles alloy thermodynamics for predicting and understanding characterization data"
- Tetsuo Mohri ( Hokkaido) "First-principles approach to ordering transformation"
- Kees Bos (MPI Stuttgart) "Computer simulation of massive transformation interfaces"
|PHASE TRANSFORMATIONS IN NOVEL SYSTEMS OR SPECIAL MATERIALS
Nano- and Constrained Systems
- Hirotaro Mori ( Osaka) "Alloy phase formation in isolated nanometer-sized particles"
- G. Brian Stephenson ( Argonne) "X-ray studies of the ferroelectric transition in ultrathin lead titanate"
- H. Fraser ( Ohio State) "Prediction of phase stabilities in nano-scale metallic multilayers"
- Jeff De Hosson ( Groningen) "In-situ high resolution transmission electron microscopy of phase transformations of nano-sized metal clusters"
- Thomas Waitz ( Vienna) "Martensitic phase transformations in nanocrystals of NiTi"
- Dilip Kanhere (Pune) "Thermodynamics of small clusters: ab initio studies on sodium, tin and gallium clusters"
Amorphous Alloys and Quasicrystals
- Kazuhiro Hono (NIMS) "Nanocrystallization and phase separation in metallic glasses"
- Joe Poon (UVA) " Phase transformations in amorphous steel"
- Do-Hyang Kim (Yonsei) "Formation of two glassy phases by phase separation in Zr-Y-Al-Co metallic glasses"
- Ken Kelton, "The importance of local structure and chemistry on glass formation and crystallization"
- John Perepezko (Wisconsin) "Nucleation in aluminum glasses"
- Srinivasa Ranganathan (Bangalore) "Quasicrystal and glass forming ability in early transition metal-late transition metal alloys"
Magnetic and Ferroic Materials
- Yasukazu Murakami (Tohoku) "Electron holography studies of magnetic domains near phase transformation temperatures"
- Long-Qing Chen (Penn) "Ferroelectric phase transitions and domain structures under strain"
- Haruyuki Inui ( Kyoto) "Phase transformations and defect structures in some semiconducting silicides"
- Bob Sinclair (Stanford) "Phase transformations in semiconductor thin films"
- Subhash Mahajan (Arizona) "Phase separation and atomic ordering in mixed III-V layers"
Ceramic and Compound Materials
- Yuichi Ikuhara ( Tokyo) "Grain boundary atomic structures and properties in oxide ceramics"
- Daniel Caillard, ( Toulouse) "Nucleation and growth of titanium hydride in titanium"
- T. Sakuma ( Tokyo) "The cubic-to-tetragonal phase transformation and microstructure evolution in zirconia alloys"
- Mick Feuerbacher (Julich) "Complex metallic alloys and metadislocations"
- Trudy Kriven (Illinois) "In-situ, in air, high temperature study of phase transformations in
- Mehmet Sarikaya (UW) "Molecular biomimetics: formation of inorganics using proteins"
- Marc Descamps ( Lille) "Transformations of pharmaceutical compounds by mechanical activation"
- Tony Tomsia (LBNL) – "Title forthcoming"
|BREAKOUT WORKSHOPS AND LATE-BREAKING ADVANCES
- D. Laughlin (CMU) "History of magnetic transformations"