- YOUNG PROFESSIONALS HOME
- YL INTERNATIONAL SCHOLAR AWARD
Learn about the international scholar program open to Young Professionals.
- YL PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT AWARD
Read and submit an application for this professional development award.
- YP SUMMARIES
View summaries from previous Young Professionals and their experiences.
- COMMITTEE BYLAWS
Read the committee bylaws and mission
- JOIN THE YOUNG PROFESSIONALS COMMITTEE
Complete this form for more information on becoming a Young Professional.
TMS Young Leaders Professional Development Award
The TMS Young Leaders Professional Development Award was created to enhance the professional development of dynamic young people from TMS’s five technical divisions by helping them participate in Society activities, become better acquainted, make important contacts with TMS leaders, and network with prominent Society members.
YOUNG LEADERS PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT AWARD WINNERS
For 2013, with partial funding from the AIME Endowment Fund, individuals were selected by the Society's divisions as listed below.
EMPMD Young Leaders Professional Development
• Sarbajit Banerjee, State University of New York, Associate Professor
• David Mitlin, University of Alberta/NINT NRC, Professor and Principal Research Officer
• Yue Qi, General Motors, Staff Research Scientist
• Guang Sheng, Scientific Forming Technology Corp, Principal Research Scientist
EPD Young Leaders Professional Development
• Jan deBakker, BBA Inc, Metallurgist
• Hojong Kim, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Research Scientist
• Jonghyun Lee, Tufts University, Postdoctoral Associate
• Thomas Wynn, Los Alamos National Laboratory, Research Technologist
LMD Young Leaders Professional Development
• Shib Narayan Meher, National Aluminium Company Ltd, Chemist
• Leon Prentice, CSIRO Process Science and Engineering, Senior Research Engineer
• James Saal, Northwestern University, Post Doc Fellow
• Kiran Solanki, Arizona State University, Assistant Professor
MPMD Young Leaders Professional Development
• Justin Crapps, ExxonMobil, Research Engineer
• Remi Dingreville, Sandia National Laboratories, Principal Member of the Technical Staff
• Jun Lou, Rice University, Associate Professor
• Jian Wang, Los Alamos National Lab, Technical Staff Member
SMD Young Leaders Professional Development
• Nikhil Gupta, Polytechnic Institute of New York University, Associate Professor
• Po-Yu Chen, National Tsing Hua University, Assistant Professor
• Michael Sangid, Purdue University, Assistant Professor
• Alexis Lewis, US Naval Research Laboratory, Materials Research Engineer
Read summaries submitted by former Young Leaders Professional Development award winners about their experiences by visiting the Young Professionals Summaries page.
Each Young Leaders Professional Development Award recipient receives the following:
- TMS membership for the year of the award.
- Sponsorship to attend the TMS Annual Meeting & Exhibition for the year of the award.
- Complimentary registration to the TMS Annual Meeting & Exhibition.
- Accommodations at a hotel within the TMS room block.
- $500 travel allowance toward airfare and round-trip transportation from airport to hotel.
- Tickets to conference social functions.
- Admission to appropriate division luncheon and council meetings at the TMS Annual Meeting.
- Admission to the Young Professionals Tutorial Luncheon.
- Admission to technical and administrative committee meetings at the TMS Annual Meeting.
- Invitation to attend the TMS board of directors meeting as an observer.
For information on applying for the Young Leaders Professional Development Award, complete and submit the application form
The deadline to apply is August 15.
JOIN THE YOUNG PROFESSIONALS COMMITTEE
For more information on becoming a TMS Young Professional Committee Member, complete the
Young Professionals Participation Form or contact TMS Member Services at