- YOUNG PROFESSIONALS HOME
- YL INTERNATIONAL SCHOLAR AWARD
Learn about the international scholar program open to Young Professionals.
- YL PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT AWARD
Read and submit an application for this professional development award.
- YP SUMMARIES
View summaries from previous Young Professionals and their experiences.
- COMMITTEE BYLAWS
Read the committee bylaws and mission
- JOIN THE YOUNG PROFESSIONALS COMMITTEE
Complete this form for more information on becoming a Young Professional.
TMS Young Leaders: International Scholar Award Program
The Japan Institute of Metals (JIM) and the Federation of European Materials Societies (FEMS) established joint Young Leaders International
Scholar Programs with TMS to promote young member activities and strengthen the collaborations between TMS and these two international societies. These collaborations have resulted in exchange programs, which offer select young members the opportunity to present papers at international sessions.
2013 JIM/TMS Young Leaders International Scholar:
• Sandip Harimkar, Oklahoma State University
2013 FEMS/TMS Young Leaders International Scholar:
• Amy Clarke, Los Alamos National Laboratory
INTERNATIONAL SCHOLAR AWARD PROGRAM DETAILS
TMS, FEMS, and JIM identify one or more young professionals to travel to the other organization's meeting to present a paper. The chosen International
Scholars also spend a few days visiting select industrial facilities, research labs, or universities. Upon their return, they are required to write an
article about their experiences for their host’s organization publication. The host organization supports the scholars, in part, during their stay
overseas with complimentary meeting registration and financial/non-financial assistance as necessary.
FEMS holds a five-day EUROMAT Conference every two years in September with presentations of about 2,000 papers covering the broad spectrum of materials
science and engineering. The TMS scholar to FEMS will attend the Euromat meeting in odd-numbered years.
JIM holds a three-day annual meeting in both the spring and fall that total 2,500 paper presentations annually. Their technical division committee
offers five to 10 symposia during the annual meetings on various topics and seven to nine symposia at other meetings. Subjects are advanced topics, which
provide an opportunity for members to participate and pursue their individual technical interests.
TMS holds its annual meeting in February or March and features over 3,600 presentations. The topics cover a broad spectrum of materials science and
APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCESS
TMS members 40 years old or younger may apply to participate in these programs. TMS winners are chosen by the chair, vice chair and secretary of the Young Professionals Committee unless the committee officers are candidates for the program. In that case, other Young Professional Committee members are appointed to the three-judge panel. Qualities/requirements considered by the selection committee include:
- Candidate should be a member actively participating in Young Professional activities.
- Candidate should have experience in presenting technical papers at functions associated with his or her member organization.
- Candidate must submit their paper topic and abstract for review.
- Candidate must submit a letter of recommendation from their immediate supervisor or manager.
- Candidate must submit a paragraph describing the reasons he or she wishes to represent the member organization. Leadership qualities and other relative attributes should be included.
- Candidate should be a responsible individual, honor commitments and be able to spend seven days in Japan or Europe as a representative of the TMS organization.
- Candidate must possess presentation skills in English.
- Candidate should possess leadership skills.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should complete the Young Leaders International
Scholar Award Application which includes additional directions for applying. Deadline to apply is August 15.
One TMS International Scholar is chosen each year to travel to Japan and attend the JIM Annual Meeting.
One TMS International Scholar is chosen every odd-numbered year to travel to Europe and attend the EUROMAT Conference.
JOIN THE YOUNG PROFESSIONAL COMMITTEE
For more information on becoming a TMS Young Professional Committee Member, complete the
Young Professionals Participation Form or contact TMS Member Services at