About the Honorific Society
The 1871 Legacy Circle is a newly established honorific society that recognizes individuals who have provided for the TMS Foundation through wills and bequests, naming the Foundation as a beneficiary of their life insurance or retirement assets. The name reflects the heritage of TMS: the American Institute for Mining, Metallurgical and Petroleum Engineers (AIME), our antecedent organization, was established in 1871 to form the foundation of TMS as we know it today. Individuals who become members of this new honorific society will be leaving a legacy of their own for future leaders of the profession and TMS members in the most critical stages of their career development. There is no minimum gift amount required to join the society.
Benefits of Joining
Recognizing members of the 1871 Legacy Circle is important to the TMS Foundation. Not only does it provide the Foundation with an opportunity to express our appreciation, but it may inspire others to support the Foundation through their estate plans. Members of the 1871 Legacy Circle receive an invitation to special TMS Foundation events, publicity in JOM, and a certificate of recognition.
Join the 1871 Legacy Circle
The following gift vehicles can be used to join the 1871 Legacy Circle:
• Name the TMS Foundation as a beneficiary in your will or revocable trust.
Life Insurance Policies
• Name the TMS Foundation owner and beneficiary of a new or existing life insurance policy.
• Donate an individual retirement account (IRA) and mandatory deduction rollover, 401k, 403b, or other retirement asset.
Real Estate or Personal Property
• Donate an asset outright or in a retained life estate.
Charitable Remainder Trust
• Create a trust that pays an income during your life with the remainder going to the TMS Foundation.
Charitable Lead Trust
• Create a trust that pays an income to the TMS Foundation for a specified term.
For additional details on the options listed above, visit the Planned Giving page
. TMS Foundation staff is available to work with you and your attorney in planning a legacy gift so that your intentions are fully understood and carried out. E-mail Andrea Holland
, TMS Foundation Major Gifts and Planned Giving Specialist, or call at 1–724–814–3144 for more information.