This award recognizes an individual who has made outstanding contributions to the science and/or technology of materials processing and includes a life-membership to TMS.
The award honors Bruce Chalmers, a professor of metallurgy and former master of John Winthrop House at Harvard University. Chalmers was a senior researcher in physics and atomic energy during and after World War II in Britain. He joined the Harvard faculty as Gordon McKay Professor of Metallurgy in 1953. Dr. Chalmers served as master of Winthrop House, an undergraduate residence, from 1964 to 1975. He retired in 1977 after 24 years as a professor in Harvard's division of engineering and applied sciences. Harvard University called him “an authority in the field of metallurgy”.
Mobil Solar Energy Corporation, in recognition of its long association with Dr. Chalmers, has established an endowment fund for the Bruce Chalmers Award.
Recipients of this award may be eligible for Acta Materialia Gold Medal, AIME Honorary Membership, Fellow, William Hume-Rothery, and IOM/Mehl.
For more information on this award, view the bylaws.
- Candidate must have an established record of research, publications, and/or patents in the field of materials processing.
- Work must have had, or be likely to have, a significant and lasting impact on the development of the discipline.
- May honor a single, significant achievement or a larger body of work.
- Prior recipients of the award are not eligible
How to Nominate
April 1 of each year.
Please submit the following documents to complete the nomination process:
- Completed nomination form.
- Nominator's Supporting Statement: This statement is to be included within the principal nominator's cover letter of endorsement. The supporting statement should outline the qualifications of the nominee for the specific honor/award. The nominator's supporting letter should be no more than two pages.
- Current resume or curriculum vitae, no more than 5 pages.
- A minimum of two, maximum of five, letters of endorsement. Each letter should be no longer than one page. No more than one letter of endorsement may be from the same affiliation as the nominee. The nominator's letter may be counted in the total number required.
Send complete nomination packet to the TMS Awards & Recognition Specialist.