The Young Leaders Professional Development Award provides an opportunity for young, professional members of TMS to advance in the field of materials science through participation in society activities. Through interaction with TMS division leaders, young individuals participate in the decision-making and long range planning of the society. The program’s purpose is two-fold:
- To enhance the professional development of young, dynamic and committed members through leadership opportunities and networking.
- To foster an appreciation and desire among young members to play an active role in TMS and advance to volunteer leadership positions in the society in the future.
Each award recipient is expected to actively represent the division by serving as a judge for division-sponsored student events at the TMS Annual Meeting. These events include the TMS Materials Bowl (held all day Sunday) and the Technical Division Student Poster Contest (held Monday late-afternoon). Recipients are expected to work with the division by attending their representing division's council meeting and division lunch. This will be accomplished through ongoing communications throughout the year and on-site at the meeting.
This award is funded by/through the TMS Foundation.
TMS strives to maintain a balance among applicants from industry, government, and academia. Applicants must be current TMS members in good standing. Candidate may not reach his/her 40th birthday by December 31 of the year in which the application is made. Previous Young Leaders Interns, Young Leaders Professional Development Award
recipients, and students are not eligible to apply. Criteria to be considered by the division’s selection committee are as follows:
- Active participation in Young Leaders activities.
- Interest in participating as a member of a division technical committee.
- Willingness to lend support to current and future TMS activities.
- Ability to be responsible and honor commitments.
- Possession of leadership skills.
- Availability to attend the TMS Annual Meeting for which the candidate is applying.
How to Apply
August 15 of each year.
Please submit the following documents to complete the application process:
- Completed application form.
- An essay which explains, in 25 words or less for each item, how the candidate will
fulfill the six criteria for TMS Young Leaders.
- A current copy of the applicant’s CV or resume.
Send complete application packet to TMS Young Leaders Awards .