CAES Senior Research Associate
Materials Science and Engineering
Posted: June 7, 2017
Boise State University, powered by creativity and innovation, stands uniquely positioned in the Northwest as a metropolitan research university of distinction. The Center for Advanced Energy Studies (CAES) seeks candidates for the position of Senior Research Associate.
This position works in a multi-collaborative environment at the Center for Advanced Energy Studies in Idaho Falls, Idaho, and assists Boise State University, Idaho State University, University of Idaho, University of Wyoming, Idaho National Laboratories, and external customers with conducting research in both the Microstructure and Characterization Suite (MaCS) and Advanced Materials Laboratory (AML). Responsibilities include sample preparation, microstructure characterization and chemical analysis utilizing Focused-Ion Beam (FIB), Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM) and Transmission Electron Microscopy (TEM), involvement in materials research projects; handle radioactive materials.
You will have the opportunity to
At a minimum you should have
- Assist with sample preparation on the bench top and inside of a glovebox using traditional cutting and polishing methods as well as advanced techniques including FIB, ion milling and coating deposition;
- Perform characterization of materials including electron microscopy (FIB/SEM, TEM) and chemical analysis; train new users on the equipment as needed;
- Operate equipment and conduct experiments in the Advanced Materials Laboratory including spark plasma sintering, heat treatments, and mechanical testing;
- Interact with customers, assessing problems, and assisting in solving materials related problems;
- Safely handle, store, and dispose of radioactive materials on a daily basis;
- Maintain compliance with safety, security, and environmental regulations on the safe handling of chemicals and radioactive materials;
- Trouble shoot issues and coordinate the repair of equipment/tools as needed.
: A bachelor’s degree in materials science or related discipline and 8 years of experience in a similar type of work that includes the following:
Preferentially, you will have
- An understanding of energy materials and high temperature processing equipment;
- Experience in sample preparation techniques;
- Experience in electron microscopy techniques;
- Ability to translate, adapt and apply academic and/or practical knowledge to engineering research;
- Ability to instruct others on instrument use, scientific principles, and safety;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Ability to work with a diverse group of people; Knowledge of good safety practices.
: Master’s degree in materials science or related discipline, with a minimum of 6 years of experience in a materials research laboratory that includes the following:
- Experience in safe handling and managing of radioactive materials;
- Experience in working in a glovebox environment;
- Experience in advanced characterization/chemical analysis techniques including FIB/SEM, TEM, EBSD and EDS;
- Proficiency in the maintenance and use of advanced materials processing techniques.
Salary and benefits: Salary is commensurate with experience. An excellent benefits package is available for eligible employees, for more information visit: http://hrs.boisestate.edu/careers/benefits/ .
If you are interested in this position: Please apply online at https://boisestate.taleo.net/careersection/ex/jobdetail.ftl?job=170442&tz=GMT-06%3A00.
Please include a cover letter and resume (including dates of employment) and the names of three professional references with contact information. Review of documents will begin immediately. The deadline to apply is June 30, 2017.