Quality reviews are key to a quality journal. Authors who publish in JOM, the member journal of The Minerals, Metals & Materials Society (TMS) expect a rigorous peer review process that will result in an improved paper and, for JOM readers, reliably high-value content. JOM is currently seeking volunteers to serve as peer reviewers.
Your Responsibilities as a JOM Peer Reviewer
Any professional in minerals, metals, or materials science and engineering who is willing to share time and expertise is encouraged to apply for consideration as a JOM peer reviewer. The best reviewers are knowledgeable, thorough, and prompt with their work.
Reviewer responsibilities are as follows:
- Read the assigned manuscript thoroughly.
- Evaluate the quality of the work and consider opportunities for improvement.
- Submit your written evaluation.
- Re-review the manuscript after author has responded to your comments.
Please note that the JOM editor makes the final decision on actions for all submitted papers, based on the recommendations of reviewers and guest editors.
Suggested Outline for Your Written Evaluation
To be of greatest service to the author and JOM
readers, your written review should be consistent and thorough, covering the following components:
- Content: In a few sentences, summarize the paper’s findings. Include comments regarding scientific quality or potential industrial impact, relevance to the topic, and appropriateness for JOM audience.
- Degree of Novelty: Include specific, detailed comments regarding the originality and relevance to the materials science and engineering field.
- Structure: Consider the paper’s general layout and organization, use and number of figures, tables, and equations, adequacy and appropriateness of references, length.
- Quality: Assess clarity, consistency, and readability.
- Conclusion: Provide your general opinion, comments, and recommendations.
Submit Your Application Today
The first step to becoming a JOM peer reviewer is to complete and submit the application below. Upon acceptance, your name will be added to the JOM reviewer database. When you are selected to perform a review, an editor will e-mail an invitation to you.
If you have questions or need additional information, please contact the JOM Principal Editor