TMS Society Bylaws
TMS operates under a core set of Bylaws, which are voted on and approved by the members of the society. In November 2010 TMS members ratified changes to the society's Bylaws and policies. The new Bylaws went into effect November 17, 2010.
ARTICLE I – NAME AND OBJECTIVE
Section 1.1. Name.
This Society shall be known henceforth as The Minerals, Metals and Materials Society, Inc. (TMS) hereinafter in these Bylaws referred to interchangeably and without distinction as the "Society,” “TMS”, or the “Corporation.”
Section 1.2. Vision.
The vision of TMS is to be the professional society of choice for the worldwide minerals, metals and materials community.
Section 1.3. Mission.
The mission of TMS is to promote the global science and engineering professions concerned with minerals, metals and materials. In support of this mission, TMS will:
- Provide forums and other opportunities for:
- The exchange of information among all segments of our community.
- Networking and making contacts vital to members' interests.
- Provide state-of-the-art means for disseminating information pertinent to the community.
- Promote technology transfer and, thereby, the economic health of our industries.
- Provide means for the professional development and career maintenance of members.
- Assume a leadership role in the minerals, metals and materials community by promoting collaboration and alliances among minerals, metals and materials societies and organizations in order to strengthen the technological basis of the profession and our members.
- Participate in the development of students for entry into the minerals, metals and materials professions.
- Represent the minerals, metals and materials professions in the accreditation of education programs and in the registration of professional engineers.
- Encourage professionalism, ethical behavior, and concern for the environment.