Active maintenance of these web resources ceased in 2012 and they will not be updated. They are posted for archival purposes only.

Topic Title: End-of-Life Vehicle Recycling in the European Union
Topic Summary: The impact of vehicles of the environment.
Created On: 6/30/2008 12:07 PM

 6/30/2008 12:07 PM

Diana Grady

Posts: 359
Joined: 11/14/2007

Vehicles, essential to society, are continually increasing in use. However, throughout their life cycle vehicles impact the environment in several ways: energy and resource consumption, waste generation during manufacturing and use, and disposal at the end of their useful lives. About 75 percent of end-of- life vehicles, mainly metals, are recyclable in the European Union. The rest (~25%) of the vehicle is considered waste and generally goes to landfills. Environmental legislation of the European Union requires the reduction of this waste to a maximum of 5 percent by 2015.

Source: N. Kanari, J.-L. Pineau, and S. Shallari. "End-of-Life Vehicle Recycling in the European Union". JOM. August 2003.
Read Article

5500 Corporate Drive Suite 750, Pittsburgh, PA 15237 USA (directions)
Telephone 800-759-4867 (U.S. and Canada)
724-776-9000 (elsewhere)
Fax 724-776-3770 ·Email