Corning, NY, USA
Posted: November 1, 2019
Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
Corning's Manufacturing, Technology and Engineering division (MTE) is recognized as the leader in engineering excellence & innovative manufacturing technologies by providing diverse skills to Corning’s existing & emerging businesses.
We anticipate & provide timely, valued, leading edge manufacturing technologies and engineering expertise. We partner with Corning’s businesses and the Science & Technology division. Together we create and sustain Corning’s manufacturing as a differential advantage.
SCOPE OF POSITION
• In the role of senior metallurgical engineer, you will function as a metallurgical specialist on projects in all stages of innovation for all Corning businesses.
DAY TO DAY RESPONSIBILITIES
• Provide technical solutions to a wide range of difficult materials-related process and product problems.
• Work independently, under general direction, to determine and develop approach to solutions.
• Design and carry out laboratory tests and simulations and production experiments to gain fundamental understanding, test potential solutions and solve materials-related issues.
• Work collaboratively with scientists, engineers and plant personnel and direct activities of lab personnel.
• Conduct failure analyses to determine root cause and develop, test and recommend permanent and efficient solutions.
• Develop and write metal specifications.
• Identify, select and qualify vendors.
• Flexibility is required as we travel approximately 20-30%, domestically and internationally.
• Our standard working hours are M-F 8-5 with off hours required for meetings and travel as required by projects.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
• We require a MS or PhD in a materials-related field, preferably metallurgy, with 5+ years of relevant metal or materials development, engineering or processing experience.
• If you do not have MS or PhD, we require BS with 7+ years of relevant metal or materials development, engineering or processing experience.
• Broad metallurgical background and experience, including knowledge of wide range of metals and alloys, physical and chemical metallurgy, material processing, such as melting, hot/ cold working, casting, heat treating, and impact on material properties and uses, coating processes, such as PVD, CVD, electro and electroless plating, and welding.
• Strong engineering skill base, including understanding of basic strength of materials calculations, corrosion and electrochemistry, heat transfer and diffusion calculations, failure analysis techniques.
• Technical curiosity with rigorous problem-solving skills.
• Comfortable with projects in laboratory to manufacturing environment.
• Good interpersonal skills, including ability to work in a consultant role, as a great teammate, with a range of co-workers from hourly to management, and within a global organization, across multiple cultures and organizations.
• Strong written and verbal communication.
• In depth understanding of one or more of the following areas: refractory and precious metals, metallurgical thermodynamics, high temperature corrosion and oxidation, metallic and ceramic coatings, or applied electrochemistry.
• Ability to create a diverse and inclusive environment built on credibility, visibility, and trust while presenting and selling concepts to internal customers!
• How are you at growing networks to get things done?
• Dedication, creativity, self-starter and the passion to build and improve daily.
• Take initiative and get results!
This position does not support immigration sponsorship.
We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or veteran status or any other legally protected status.