The Minerals, Metals & Materials Society (TMS)
Posted: November 8, 2017
The Minerals, Metals & Materials Society (TMS) has an immediate opening for a Technical Initiatives Specialist. The specialist is responsible for development, support, and implementation of efforts in key strategic areas of TMS. The position is within and supports the technical (science and engineering) department at TMS, but involves interacting across all TMS departments (e.g., events, marketing and communication, publications, membership). Additionally, the position interfaces directly with TMS volunteers, committees and other TMS member groups on various meetings and projects.
- Support the Technical Director and Technical Project Leader in the preparation and execution of workshops and road-mapping studies, meetings, technical reports, and grant proposals.
- Work with staff and external customers (as staff lead or participant) in contributing to the execution of a variety of TMS initiatives and the development of products and services.
- Work with TMS staff, volunteer/member committees and/or special project teams, to coordinate planning, develop content for agendas, and in some cases lead in-person, on-line or teleconference meetings.
- Complete background research and report findings, as needed, to address the development and execution of TMS initiatives, products, and services.
- Assist TMS staff and volunteers on projects as needs arise.
- Position includes duties that require travel.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree, preferably in a technical (e.g., engineering, science, technology) or related field.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills and proficiency in technical writing and presentation.
- Ability to organize and lead committees and other teams of customers (volunteers) via web conferences, teleconferences, emails, and in-person meetings.
- Ability to work well in independent and team-based environments.
- Comfortable in working with spreadsheets and project management software.
- Strict attention to detail, and ability to multitask and prioritize.
- An entrepreneurial, “roll up your sleeves” spirit that realizes value in all tasks, large and small, likes to learn by doing, and desires continuous improvement and innovation.
- Two or more years of work experience preferred.
- Ability to travel occasionally.
Interested candidates should submit resume to email@example.com. No phone calls, please.
Who we are
The Minerals, Metals & Materials Society (TMS) is a professional society that connects minerals, metals, and materials scientists and engineers who work in industry, academia, and government positions around the world. We create networking, publication, and professional development opportunities by convening international conferences, publishing books and journals, administering awards, conducting short courses and training, and developing standards for the professions we serve.
TMS currently supports nearly 13,000 professional and student members on six continents.
TMS Diversity Statement
The Minerals, Metals & Materials Society (TMS) is committed to advancing diversity in the minerals, metals, and materials professions, and to promoting an inclusive professional culture that welcomes and engages all who seek to contribute to the field. TMS recognizes that a diverse minerals, metals, and materials workforce is critical to ensuring that all viewpoints, perspectives, and talents are brought to bear in addressing complex science and engineering challenges. To build and nurture this diverse professional community, TMS welcomes and actively engages the participation of underrepresented groups in all of its initiatives and endeavors.