Learn how to nominate a candidate for future openings on the TMS Board of Directors and meet the most recent board nominees.
Open Board Positions
Nominations will be accepted from October 1, 2023, through January 15, 2024, for seats on the 2025–2028 Board of Directors. The open positions are:
- Presidential Rotation: Encompasses three successive one-year positions: Vice President, President, and Past President
- Membership Diversity and Development Director: Represents the entire membership in carrying out the professional activities of the Society concerned with our professional and student membership and related activities including but not limited to diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives.
Additionally, positions for these division chairs are open on the 2025–2028 Board of Directors, but nominations are being developed directly through the technical divisions.
TMS typically accepts nominations for open board of directors positions from October 1 through January 15 for board terms that begin for the following year (e.g., to be considered for a term that begins in 2025, the deadline for nominations would be January 15, 2024).
Candidates for all Board of Directors positions must be presented to and approved by the TMS membership. All non-technical-division-chair-position nominations are reviewed by the TMS Nominating Committee, which then makes recommendations concerning the candidates to the TMS Board of Directors. The TMS Board of Directors considers the Nominating Committee recommendations and develops a slate of candidates for presentation to the membership. This slate includes technical division chair candidates as identified by the technical divisions. In July of each year, the candidates are presented to the membership in JOM
, and the membership has the opportunity to approve the slate of candidates by taking no action or to force an election by petitioning to have an additional candidate considered for a given position. If no other candidates are advanced by the membership by August 15, the slate endorsed by the Board of Directors will be declared elected and will take office at the conclusion of the next TMS Annual Meeting & Exhibition. If an alternative candidate is advanced by the membership, an election will be held in the fall.
How to Nominate
Submission Deadline: January 15 of each year
Self nomination packages are acceptable. This nomination process does not apply to technical division chair positions.
Your nomination package should include:
- Completed and signed TMS Board Nominee Statement Form (PDF).
- Curriculum Vitae (5 pages or less, with no more than 1 page listing publications and presentations)
- Supporting letters from TMS members (minimum of three; maximum of five). Each letter should be no longer than three pages.
- Summary by nominee of reasons for seeking the position, qualifications and relevant experience, vision for TMS, and your role in realizing this vision through the position you are seeking. This summary should be no more than 1,800 words or approximately three pages.
Completed nomination packages should be submitted to:
TMS Nominating Committee Chair
c/o Deborah Hixon, TMS
5700 Corporate Drive, Suite 750
Pittsburgh, PA 15237 USA
The nomination packet is valid for one year.
2024-2027 Board of Directors Nominees Approved
The following slate of new members has been approved for the 2024-2027 Board of Directors:
- Presidential Rotation: Daniel Miracle
- Program Director/Chair: Robert Maass
Learn more about these new board members in the article, "TMS Presents the 2024 Board of Directors Nominees," published in the July issue of JOM.