This award recognizes members of TMS who are qualified for elevation to the Class of Fellow by reason of outstanding contributions to the practice of metallurgy, materials science, and technology. The award includes a life membership to TMS and is considered a pinnacle award.
Fellows shall be persons who have been full members of TMS for at least five years continuously and shall be qualified for elevation to the Class of Fellow by reason of outstanding contributions to the practice of minerals, metals, or materials science and technology. Fellows shall be entitled to use the title of “Fellow of The Minerals, Metals & Materials Society.” Posthumous nominations for Fellow will not be accepted for consideration by the subcommittee. A nomination is good for three years provided it meets criteria for the award each year. If a nomination is unsuccessful in a three-year cycle, the candidate must wait three years before being renominated.
For more information on this award, the nomination criteria, and the selection criteria, view the bylaws.
How to Nominate
April 1 of each year.
Only a member of TMS may nominate a candidate for Fellow.
The nomination package should include:
- Completed Fellow Award nominated form requiring information such as the candidate's employment information, education information, professional accomplishments, evidence of accomplishments, and service to the profession.
- A short CV, no more than 5 pages.
- In addition to a letter from the nominator outlining the qualifications of the nominee for the award, a maximum of four additional letters of endorsement should be included as part of the nomination package. No more than two of these letters (including the letter from the nominator) may be from the same affiliation as the nominee. Letters should be no more than three pages each.
Send complete nomination packet to TMS Awards.
Please note the following before submitting a nomination:
- If a nomination package (CV, letters of recommendation, accomplishments, etc.) is over the limit as specified on the nomination form, the principal nominator will be asked to refine the package, or the package will be rejected.
- Per the award bylaws, unsuccessful nominees must wait three years before re-nomination.
- One nomination per nominee will be accepted. If a nomination packet is already received at TMS for your nominee, you will be asked to work with the other principal nominator to submit one packet. Please contact TMS Awards to verify whether your nominee is eligible for consideration.