This award recognizes members of TMS who are qualified for elevation to the Class of Fellow by reason of outstanding contributions to the practice of metallurgy, materials science, and technology. The award includes a life membership to TMS and is considered a pinnacle award.
Fellows shall be persons who have been full members of TMS for at least five years continuously and shall be qualified for elevation to the Class of Fellow by reason of outstanding contributions to the practice of minerals, metals, or materials science and technology. Fellows shall be entitled to use the title of “Fellow of The Minerals, Metals & Materials Society.” Posthumous nominations for Fellow will not be accepted for consideration by the subcommittee. A nomination is good for three years provided it meets criteria for the award each year. If a nomination is unsuccessful in a three-year cycle, the candidate must wait three years before being renominated.
For more information on this award, the nomination criteria, and the selection criteria, view the bylaws.
How to Nominate
April 1 of each year.
Only a member of TMS may nominate a candidate for Fellow.
The nomination package should include:
- Completed Fellow Award nominated form requiring information such as the candidate's employment information, education information, professional accomplishments, evidence of accomplishments, and service to the profession.
- A short CV, no more than 5 pages.
- Three letters of support/recommendation may accompany the nomination package. These letters should be no more than 2 pages in length and focus on additional information/perspectives that complement/augment the nomination form and CV, rather than replicating the information. No more than one of the individuals involved in the nomination, either as nominator or letter writer, may come from the same organization as the nominee. (The completed nomination form acts as the letter of recommendation from the principal nominator; no letter is needed from the principal nominator.)
Send complete nomination packet to TMS Awards.
Please note the following before submitting a nomination:
- If a nomination package (CV, letters of recommendation, accomplishments, etc.) is over the limit as specified on the nomination form, the principal nominator will be asked to refine the package, or the package will be rejected.
- Per the award bylaws, unsuccessful nominees must wait three years before re-nomination.
- One nomination per nominee will be accepted. If a nomination packet is already received at TMS for your nominee, you will be asked to work with the other principal nominator to submit one packet. Please contact TMS Awards to verify whether your nominee is eligible for consideration.