TMS 2011: Student Activities
February 27 - March 3, 2011 • San Diego, California
TMS 2011 is a forum for encouraging the development of our materials science and engineering students as they progress toward their professional careers and find their place as future Society leaders committed to moving the materials world forward. To inspire our student attendees to achieve success, TMS 2011 features a number of events designed to captivate and educate young minds.
Undergraduate and graduate students will vie for cash prizes at the annual Student Poster Contest sponsored by the five technical divisions of TMS. Participants in this dynamic and interactive event compete for a $500 prize in each division for the best undergraduate and best graduate poster. Plus an additional $500 will be presented for the best posters in the undergraduate and graduate divisions.
Contest Rules & Qualifications
- Authors must be full-time students who are pursuing undergraduate or graduate degrees.
- Authors must register to attend the TMS 2010 Annual Meeting & Exhibition and be present to put up and take down the posters.
- Authors must be present during a scheduled “Exhibit Showing” (similar to a science fair) to answer questions and discuss their work.
- Each author may use up to a 45” x 45” space. If poster exceeds this space, it will be neither presented nor eligible for contest.
- Visual aids that could clarify the results of your own work are encouraged. Do not, however, post your paper text. Graphics should be simple, colorful, well labeled and clear. The title should be written in letters 2- to 5-cm high (or approximately 1-2 inches), and all material should be readable from a distance of 2 m (or around 7 feet).
TMS 2011 Materials Bowl sponsored by Alcoa
Sunday, February 27, 8:30 p.m. Final Championship Round
Student teams compete for cash prizes and earn the right to take home the traveling trophy after conquering three rounds of intense, materials science-based questions.
Sunday, February 27, 9 to 11 p.m.
Put on your dancing shoes to meet and mingle with peers in an informal social atmosphere.
Tuesday, March 1, 3 to 5 p.m.
Organized by the TMS Young Leader Committee, this session will feature speakers from a variety of materials science backgrounds and career stages who discuss how to navigate a career path to ultimate goals.
FOR MORE INFORMATION...
For additional information regarding the TMS Annual Meeting & Exhibition, please complete the TMS Meetings Mailing List Form or contact:
184 Thorn Hill Road
Warrendale, PA 15086 USA
Tel: (724) 776-9000 x243
Fax: (724) 776-3770