In This Issue
Meeting in Person with a Safety Focus
Still deciding whether to attend the TMS 2022 Annual Meeting & Exhibition
(TMS2022)? Find out what steps we’re taking to ensure a safe and healthy meeting experience for attendees when we convene in person February 27-March 3 in Anaheim, California.
Here is an overview of the health and safety measures you can expect at TMS2022:
- Anyone who is advised to isolate or quarantine based on then-current Centers for Disease Control guidelines cannot attend. When a registrant is clear of restrictions, that registrant is welcome.
- Proof of vaccination or a negative COVID-19 test is required to attend TMS2022. We are contracting with a third party to qualify credentials and maintain the privacy of our registrants.
- Masks must be worn (properly) in all TMS2022 event spaces (except when giving a presentation or actively eating or drinking). If you don’t have a mask, we will have some available on request.
- Our room sets will be structured to allow for the physical separation of participants. Attendees will be encouraged to employ social distancing in informal settings.
- Cleaning and sanitization will be robust. Our host facilities have increased the frequency of surface cleaning and are following strict food service safety guidelines. Our headquarters hotel, the Anaheim Marriott, uses air purifying systems effective against air-borne viruses. Naturally, there will be plentiful hand-sanitizing stations.
- Hygienic guidance will be provided to attendees. Not only is social distancing encouraged, but also hygienic practices such as frequent hand washing and sanitizing and refraining from shaking hands and other personal contact.
- On-site COVID testing will be available for a fee. This is to help travelers who must provide a negative COVID test result immediately before travelling.
- We encourage all participants to stay “on campus.” We are working with our headquarters hotel, the Anaheim Marriott, to host our official activities so that we can maintain our health and safety protocols with uniformity, reliability, and consistency. You can book a room at the Marriott through TMS to take advantage of our discounted attendee room rates.
You can read the complete letter
from TMS Executive Director James Robinson outlining our commitment to creating a safe and healthy environment for attendees and check the TMS2022 Health and Safety website
regularly for updated guidance.
is still open for TMS2022, so make your travel plans today and join us in Anaheim in February. If you are unable to travel, a virtual participation option is also available. You can learn more on our registration web page
Iver Anderson Named MS&T Plenary Speaker
Iver Anderson, a senior metallurgist at Iowa State University and Ames Laboratory, has been selected as the 2022 recipient of the TMS/ASM Joint Distinguished Lectureship in Materials and Society Award. As a part of this award, Anderson will present his lecture during the All-Conference Plenary at the Materials Science & Technology 2022
(MS&T22) conference, scheduled for October 9–13, 2022, in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
A TMS member since 1982 and a 2015 TMS Fellow, Anderson is an active TMS volunteer, having served on a variety of technical and functional committees and the TMS Board of Directors. The distinguished lectureship recognizes an individual experienced in a policy-making role in the field of materials engineering for our nation and its industries—an eminent individual who has a perspective as to how technology and society are affected by developments in materials science and engineering. Specifically, Anderson is being honored for providing a broad range of leadership in mentoring and outreach spanning academia, transferring fundamental knowledge to applications, and encouraging engagement in public policy.
Plan to attend MS&T22 to hear Anderson’s lecture and to present your own work. Abstracts are now being accepted
for approximately 80 symposia in 15 technical tracks.
Want to learn more about MS&T? You can now view photos from MS&T21
—held October 17-20, 2021, in Columbus, Ohio—for a look at our most recent, in-person installment of the Materials Science & Technology conference series.
TMS Career Center Connects Job Seekers and Employers
Looking for a career change? Trying to fill an opening in your organization? Visit the TMS Career Center
to find the perfect position or the ideal candidate. Log in as a TMS member for full access to career center resources.
The Career Center is part of a network of related societies representing various fields of materials science. It has a resume bank of nearly 1,000 individuals and 3,800 active job seekers.
If you’re looking for a job, the Career Center allows you to:
- Post an Anonymous Resume
- View the Latest Job Postings
- Create Personal Job Alerts
If you’re seeking new candidates for a position, you can use the Career Center to:
- View Resumes
- Post a Job Opening
- Build a Recruitment Package
The TMS Career Center
is open to both members and nonmembers alike. TMS members can log in to the site using their TMS username and password. Nonmembers will need to create a registration.