Become a Journal Reviewer
If you would like to help maintain the high quality of TMS technical journals, consider serving as a reviewer for one of six journals published (or co-published) by TMS: Integrating Materials and Manufacturing Innovation; JOM; Journal of Electronic Materials; Journal of Sustainable Metallurgy; or Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A or B. Journal reviewers are managed by the respective editors and editorial offices, and the exact expectations of reviewers vary by journal.
Why Should You Become a Journal Reviewer?
The benefits to your career include the opportunity to:
- Stay abreast of the latest developments in your field
- Develop leadership, management, and communication skills
- Be part of a network of colleagues in your interest area
What Are the Responsibilities of a Journal Reviewer?
Any professional in minerals, metals, or materials science and engineering who is willing to share time and expertise is encouraged to apply for consideration as a journal reviewer. The best reviewers are knowledgeable, thorough, and prompt with their work.
Reviewer responsibilities are as follows:
- Read the assigned manuscript thoroughly
- Evaluate the quality of the work and consider opportunities for improvement
- Submit your written evaluation
- Re-review the manuscript after author has responded to your comments
Please note that the journal editors make the final decision on actions for all submitted papers, based on the recommendations of reviewers.
The amount of time required varies by journal. Each editorial office can supply more specific expectations of the time involved.
How to Get Started
To inquire about reviewer positions with TMS journals, please use the contact information below:
Contact Journal of Electronic Materials.
Contact Metallurgical and Materials Transactions.
Contact Integrating Materials and Manufacturing Innovation.
Contact Journal of Sustainable Metallurgy.