Characteristically, the J. Keith Brimacombe Prize recognizes determination and professional achievement that is forever in style and not easily forgotten.
As a permanent record, each Prize recipient is awarded a sculpturesque depiction of a modern-day Athena representing a portrait of fortitude. Etched in the base of the award are the qualities that give form to the purpose of the man and the award while recognizing the accomplishments of its recipient. a sculpture depicting Athena, the Greek goddess of reason, intelligent activity, arts and literature. She was the embodiment of wisdom, reason, and purity. She is noted to have only fought for just reasons, and would not fight without a purpose. Characteristically, the Brimacombe Prize recognizes intelligence and wisdom. The certificate recognizes the qualities that give form to the purpose of the awardee while recognizing his/her accomplishments as an excellent researcher, visionary and innovator for a better society, teacher, and world ambassador, creatively integrating science and technology.
The Brimacombe Prize was designed to do more than merely honor; it is intended that this award speak symbolically of the achievements of its recipients while perpetuating these attributes that Dr. Brimacombe set as standards for his own character and career.
- A creator of new knowledge through research excellence.
- A visionary and innovator for a better global society.
- A world ambassador integrating science and technology with creative insight.
The award also includes a prize of CDN$20,000.
- Individuals or a team from academia, industry, or government may be nominated by a person or an institution.
- There are no age restrictions with respect to the nominee(s) for this prize and the prize is international.
- The prize will be awarded for a single or sustained outstanding contribution to materials process engineering. The work should demonstrate a high degree of creativity, imagination and engineering/scientific depth. Evidence of significant scientific or industrial impact will be an important measure of eligibility for the award. The following characteristics, which are well-known of Dr. J. Keith Brimacombe, form an important set of criteria for the prize:
- Research excellence and the creation of new insight
- World ambassador
- Innovator and visionary for a better global society
How to Nominate
December 1 of each odd-numbered year
Please submit the following documents to complete the nomination process:
- Current resume or curriculum vitae, no more than four pages describing the following:
- Nominee's achievements and contributions and how they relate to the selection criteria.
- Significance or impact of the achievement(s) in the field.
- Role of each individual in a team effort.
- The nomination should also include names and addresses of five individuals who could provide an assessment of the nominee's/nominees' eligibility for the award. Also include telephone, fax number and e-mail address for the references. Nominations will remain effective for three successive competitions. The selection committee may seek input from references other than those provided.
Send complete nomination packet to the Brimacombe Prize Selection Committee.
For more information, or to view a list of past recipients, visit the official award website.