One $2,500 scholarship is available to undergraduate students in their sophomore or junior years, who are majoring in metallurgical and/or materials science and engineering with an emphasis on manufacturing from product design to production, integrating process control technology into manufacturing, and basic and applied research into key materials technologies that impact manufacturing processes.
Additionally, each recipient receives up to $500 for travel expenses to attend the meeting and luncheon to accept the award. Award recipients must travel to and attend the conference in order to receive the travel funds associated with this award.
Recipients are known as MPMD Scholars.
Funding for this scholarship is provided by the TMS Materials Processing & Manufacturing Division and TMS Foundation.
Battelle Matching Scholarship Program
Thanks to the generous support of Battelle and its former chief executive officer and president, Jeffrey Wadsworth, Battelle will match undergraduate student scholarships awarded by the five TMS technical divisions, dollar for dollar, beginning in 2018.
Battelle Materials Graduate Student Award
Thanks to the generous support of Battelle and its former chief executive officer and president, Jeffrey Wadsworth, Battelle will award every student who received a Battelle Matching Scholarship with a Battelle Materials Graduate Student Award when the student matriculates to graduate school to continue studies in a materials-related field. The program will begin once the 2018 scholarship recipients start graduate school.
- The applicant must be a student member of Material Advantage.
- Applicants must be an undergraduate sophomore or junior enrolled full time in a metallurgical/materials science engineering program at a qualified college or university.
- Relatives of members of the funding committee/division are not eligible.
- Submitted coursework must be relevant to the scholarship for which the student is applying.
How to Apply
March 15 of each year.
Please submit the following documents to complete the application process:
- Completed application form.
- An individual statement describing unique educational experiences (e.g., special projects), career plans, leadership experience, involvement in a Material Advantage chapter, and community involvement. This statement should be no more than 200 words.
- Three (3) TMS Scholarship Recommendation Forms from educators and/or employees who are familiar with your background.
- An up-to-date transcript of your academic record.
Applications must be sent in as one complete PDF packet in the order listed below (including transcripts and letters of recommendation) to the TMS Student Awards Program.
- Application Form
- Individual/Personal Statement
- CV (optional)
- Transcript (can be unofficial)
- Three letters of recommendation
You may apply for up to two TMS sponsored scholarships per year, however, TMS will only award one scholarship per student per year. If you are selected for more than one scholarship, you will automatically receive the one with the highest value.