The Korean Institute of Metals and Materials (KIM) and The Minerals, Metals & Materials Society (TMS) established a joint Young Leader International Scholar Program for the promotion of young member activities in, as well as the strengthening of, the international mutual collaboration between TMS and KIM. The leadership of KIM and TMS have agreed to collaborate with an exchange program, whereby selected young members present papers at the international sessions of each society’s meetings.
The program will promote young member activities and strengthen the collaborations between TMS and KIM. This collaborative exchange program offers select young members the opportunity to present papers at international sessions.
TMS and KIM will identify one young leader annually to travel to the other organization's meeting to present a paper. The chosen International Scholars will be hosted by the respective organization, and ideally spend a few days visiting select industrial facilities, research labs, or universities (if possible, based on the conference location and schedule). On their return, they are required to write an article about their experiences for their host organization's publication. The host organization supports the scholar with complimentary meeting registration and financial/non-financial assistance as necessary. Award recipients must travel to and attend the conference in order to receive the travel funds associated with this award.
KIM holds a Fall Conference in October each year, and this meeting covers a wide range of topics including metals, high polymer, ceramics magnetic materials, electronics, etc.
The TMS recipient is chosen by members of the TMS Membership Diversity & Development Committee.
This award is funded by/through the TMS Foundation.
- Must be a member of TMS and have been a member for at least two consecutive years.
- Must be 40 years old or younger to participate in this program.
- Candidate should be a member actively participating in Emerging Professional activities.
- Candidate should have experience in presenting technical papers at functions associated with his or her member organization.
- Candidate should be a responsible individual, honor commitments and be able to spend up to seven days in South Korea as a representative of the TMS organization.
- Candidate must possess presentation skills in English.
- Candidate should possess leadership skills.
How to Apply
August 15 of each year.
Note that you may only apply to one International Scholar Program per year.
Please submit the following documents to complete the application process:
- Completed application form.
- A copy of the applicant's CV or resume.
- Letter of application describing TMS Emerging Professional and other society activities, special achievements, honors or awards received. Indicate leadership qualities and other attributes which might distinguish you as the candidate for selection, and why you would like to be chosen as a Young Leader International Scholar. This letter should be no longer than one page.
- A 150-word abstract of applicant’s paper.
- A letter of recommendation from applicant's immediate supervisor or employer.
Send complete nomination packet to TMS Young Leaders Awards .