In This Issue
View Technical Program for MS&T21
The preliminary technical program is now available for the Materials Science & Technology 2021
(MS&T21) technical meeting and exhibition. MS&T21 will be held October 17-21 in Columbus, Ohio.
The extensive technical program features 75 symposia in 13 technical tracks. You can now preview programming plans
in one of two ways:
MS&T21 has extended its discounted early registration deadline to Monday, September 20
, to allow extra time for presenters and attendees to finalize their travel plans. Please note that this year, MS&T is offering two options for registration
Preview the program
- MS&T21 Full-Conference Registration: This option is for attendees who wish to participate in the on-site meeting in Columbus, Ohio, at face-to-face events. Registration includes access to technical presentations, exhibits, and networking activities. This registration rate also includes access to on-demand presentations.
- MS&T21 + On Demand (Virtual On-Demand Participation): This option is for those who are unable to travel to Columbus but still wish to present their work at the conference and view others’ recorded presentations. Presentations will be available to view from October 22 through November 30, 2021.
, choose your registration option
, and plan to be a part of MS&T21 in October.
TMS Introduces New Member Benefit in 2022
Beginning in January, TMS members will receive a complementary print subscription to JOM: The Magazine
, the color section of the publication that highlights member news, Society information, and feature articles each month. While not part of the mailing, the JOM
technical articles that make the journal such a high value will still be free and easily accessible from Springer by logging into the JOM website
Of course, as a TMS Member, you always have options. If you’d still like to receive a print copy of the JOM
publication of record, which encompasses both the JOM: The Magazine
portion and the peer-reviewed technical articles, you can purchase that as a subscription during the membership dues renewal process
. You can also opt out of the print JOM: The Magazine
mailing by updating your profile at members.tms.org
and continue to access TMS member news and features completely online.
We hope that reading about TMS colleagues and activities will provide an additional way for our members to stay connected with each other in the coming year. Make sure you don’t miss a single issue by logging in and renewing your membership now
Not a member? Learn about TMS membership options and how to join here
New Springer Name-Change Policy Open to TMS Authors
Springer Nature has introduced a name-change policy that will enable transgender scholars and others to update their name on published works, retroactively updating names on the version of record and associated metadata in all Springer Nature journals, books, and conference proceedings. TMS journal and proceedings authors can access this name-change service through the Society’s publishing partnership with Springer.
This policy was created to alleviate some of the challenges faced by transgender authors—who often face a lengthy and very public process, often with associated personal and professional risk—when seeking to correct their publication record. According to Springer, this policy seeks to make name changes:
- Comprehensive across all relevant search systems and across the version of records and associated metadata
- Silent so that readers will not be aware that a correction to an author’s name has been made, with authors given the option of the change being silent or flagged
- Inclusive as to allow name changes for various reason―principally to serve the needs of transgender scholars but also for other reasons such as religious reasons
- Cascaded without unnecessary burden on authors to update abstracting and indexing sites
Authors requesting a name change should contact Springer
to initiate the process.
Learn more about Diversity, Equity & Inclusion initiatives
Editor’s Choice: Read Outstanding Papers from TMS Journals for Free
A limited number of Editor’s Choice articles from TMS journals are selected and made available to the public at no charge. This distinct honor is awarded to fewer than 5% of papers published in the respective journals each year. In addition to high-quality writing, these notable articles are distinguished by attributes such as outstanding science, innovative methods, impactful outputs, historical significance, and/or broad interest to the readership.
Click to read the following selections from recent issues for free:
September Journal of the Month
Metallurgical and Materials Transactions B
"Refining of Secondary Aluminum: Important Chemical Factors
," Geoffrey K. Sigworth
"Alternating-Current Electrophoretic Deposition of Spinel Coatings on Porous Metallic Substrates for Solid Oxide Fuel Cell Applications
," Zhikuan Zhu, et al.
Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A
"The Application of Differential Scanning Calorimetry to Investigate Precipitation Behavior in Nickel-Base Superalloys Under Continuous Cooling and Heating Conditions
," S. L. Semiatin, et al.
TMS members can access the full content of all of these journals by logging in to the Journals
section of the TMS website.