The principal aim and purpose of this scholarship fund is to further the mineral industries by affording educational opportunities in the arts and sciences pertaining to those industries, particularly by assisting worthy students in the mining, metallurgical and petroleum departments of leading colleges and universities which confer degrees in mineral engineering.
Two $2,000 scholarships are available to graduate students majoring in the field of mineral, metals, and/or materials engineering. An additional $375 for travel expenses is available to the recipient in order to personally accept the award at the TMS Annual Meeting and Exhibition. Recipients will also receive a brochure about Mr. Smith and his relationship to the mining industry. Award recipients must travel to and attend the conference in order to receive the travel funds associated with this award.
The scholarship recipient is known as the Henry deWitt Smith Scholar.
Funding for this scholarship is provided by the American Institute of Mining, Metallurgical, and Petroleum Engineers (AIME).
- The applicant must be a student member of Material Advantage.
- Applicants must be graduate students enrolled full time in a metallurgical/materials science engineering program at a qualified college or university.
- Relatives of members of the funding committee/division are not eligible.
- Submitted coursework must be relevant to the scholarship for which the student is applying.
How to Apply
March 15 of each year
Please submit the following documents to complete the application process. Send applications including transcripts to the TMS Student Awards Program. Recommendations can be e-mailed individually to the same email address.
- Completed application form.
- An individual statement describing unique educational experiences (e.g., special projects), career plans, leadership experience, involvement in a Material Advantage chapter, and community involvement. This statement should be no more than 200 words and double-spaced.
- CV (optional).
- An up-to-date transcript of your academic record.
- Three (3) TMS Scholarship Recommendation Forms from educators and/or employees who are familiar with your background.
You may apply for up to two TMS sponsored scholarships per year, however, TMS will only award one scholarship per student per year. If you are selected for more than one scholarship, you will automatically receive the one with the highest value.