Two $5,000 scholarships are available to undergraduate students majoring in metallurgical engineering, materials science and engineering, or to undergraduate students with a significant interest in the materials area. In addition, a travel stipend of $500 per award is available for the recipients to attend the TMS Annual Meeting to formally receive the scholarship. Award recipients must travel to and attend the conference in order to receive the travel funds associated with this award.
Scholarship recipients will receive a certificate and the scholarship funds. Awardees who attend the TMS Annual Meeting will also be provided with complimentary student registration for the meeting and a ticket to the TMS-AIME Awards Banquet.
This scholarship is supported by the generosity of Acta Materialia, Inc. and issued under the TMS Foundation.
Acta Materialia, Inc. Undergraduate Scholarships are being awarded by TMS and ASM. Material Advantage student members may only apply to this scholarship through one society each year.
About Acta Materialia Inc.:
Acta Materialia provides a forum for publishing full-length, original papers and commissioned overviews which advance the in-depth understanding of the relationship between the processing, structure, and properties of inorganic materials. Papers which have a high impact potential are sought. The structure encompasses atomic and molecular arrangements, chemical and electronic structures, and microstructure. Emphasis is on either the mechanical or functional behavior of inorganic solids at all length scales down to nanostructures.
- The applicant must be a student member of Material Advantage.
- Applicants must be an undergraduate sophomore or junior enrolled full time in a metallurgical/materials science engineering program at a qualified college or university.
- Relatives of members of the funding committee/division are not eligible.
- Submitted coursework must be relevant to the scholarship for which the student is applying.
- Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.0 or higher required.
How to Apply
March 15 of each year
Please submit online the following documents to complete the scholarship application process. Paper and e-mailed applications and letters will not be accepted.
- Completed application form.
- An individual statement describing unique educational experiences (e.g., special projects), career plans, leadership experience, involvement in a Material Advantage chapter, and community involvement. This statement should be no more than 200 words and double-spaced.
- CV (optional).
- An up-to-date transcript of your academic record.
- Three (3) recommendations from educators and/or employees who are familiar with your background.
You may apply for up to two TMS sponsored scholarships per year, however, TMS will only award one scholarship per student per year. If you are selected for more than one scholarship, you will automatically receive the one with the highest value.