Up to three $2,500 scholarships are available to full-time undergraduate applicants in their sophomore or junior years, who are majoring in metallurgy, materials science, engineering, or a related field with an emphasis on extraction, materials characterization, energy, recycling and sustainability, or process modeling.
Awards are presented during the Extraction & Processing Division luncheon at the TMS Annual Meeting and Exhibition. Up to $500 for travel expenses is available to each recipient in order to accept the award at the luncheon. Scholarship recipients are known as EPD Scholars. Award recipients must travel to and attend the conference in order to receive the travel funds associated with this award.
Funding for this scholarship is provided by the TMS Extraction & Processing Division and TMS Foundation
Battelle Matching Scholarship Program
Thanks to the generous support of Battelle and its former chief executive officer and president, Jeffrey Wadsworth, Battelle will match undergraduate student scholarships awarded by the five TMS technical divisions, dollar for dollar, beginning in 2018.
Battelle Materials Graduate Student Award
Thanks to the generous support of Battelle and its former chief executive officer and president, Jeffrey Wadsworth, Battelle will award every student who received a Battelle Matching Scholarship with a Battelle Materials Graduate Student Award when the student matriculates to graduate school to continue studies in a materials-related field. The program will begin once the 2018 scholarship recipients start graduate school.
- The applicant must be a student member of Material Advantage.
- Applicants must be an undergraduate sophomore or junior enrolled full time in a metallurgical/materials science engineering program at a qualified college or university.
- Relatives of members of the funding committee/division are not eligible.
- Submitted coursework must be relevant to the scholarship for which the student is applying.
How to Apply
March 15 of each year
Please submit online the following documents to complete the scholarship application process. Paper and e-mailed applications and letters will not be accepted.
- Completed application form.
- An individual statement describing unique educational experiences (e.g., special projects), career plans, leadership experience, involvement in a Material Advantage chapter, and community involvement. This statement should be no more than 200 words and double-spaced.
- CV (optional).
- An up-to-date transcript of your academic record.
- Three (3) recommendations from educators and/or employees who are familiar with your background.
You may apply for up to two TMS sponsored scholarships per year, however, TMS will only award one scholarship per student per year. If you are selected for more than one scholarship, you will automatically receive the one with the highest value.