One $2,500 scholarship is available to an undergraduate student in their sophomore or junior year, who is studying subjects in relation to synthesis and processing, structure, properties, and performance of electronic, photonic, magnetic, and superconducting materials as well as materials used in packaging, and interconnecting such materials in device structures.
An additional $500 for travel expenses is available to the recipient in order to personally accept the award at the TMS Annual Meeting and Exhibition. The scholarship recipient is known as the FMD Gilbert Chin Scholar. Award recipients must travel to and attend the conference in order to receive the travel funds associated with this award.
Funding for this scholarship is provided by the TMS Functional Materials Division.
Battelle Matching Scholarship Program
Thanks to the generous support of Battelle and its former chief executive officer and president, Jeffrey Wadsworth, Battelle will match undergraduate student scholarships awarded by the five TMS technical divisions, dollar for dollar, beginning in 2018.
Battelle Materials Graduate Student Award
Thanks to the generous support of Battelle and its former chief executive officer and president, Jeffrey Wadsworth, Battelle will award every student who received a Battelle Matching Scholarship with a Battelle Materials Graduate Student Award when the student matriculates to graduate school to continue studies in a materials-related field. The program will begin once the 2018 scholarship recipients start graduate school.
- The applicant must be a student member of Material Advantage.
- Applicants must be an undergraduate sophomore or junior enrolled full time in a metallurgical/materials science engineering program at a qualified college or university.
- Relatives of members of the funding committee/division are not eligible.
- Submitted coursework must be relevant to the scholarship for which the student is applying.
How to Apply
March 15 of each year
Please submit the following documents to complete the application process. Send applications including transcripts to the TMS Awards Staff. Recommendations can be e-mailed individually to the same email address.
- Completed application form.
- An individual statement describing unique educational experiences (e.g., special projects), career plans, leadership experience, involvement in a Material Advantage chapter, and community involvement. This statement should be no more than 200 words and double-spaced.
- CV (optional).
- An up-to-date transcript of your academic record.
- Three (3) TMS Scholarship Recommendation Forms from educators and/or employees who are familiar with your background.
You may apply for up to two TMS sponsored scholarships per year, however, TMS will only award one scholarship per student per year. If you are selected for more than one scholarship, you will automatically receive the one with the highest value.