Two $2,000 scholarships with up to $250 for each awardee in travel reimbursements, are available to undergraduate and graduate students majoring in metallurgical and/or materials science and engineering with an emphasis on all aspects of superalloys. In addition to the traditional focus areas of alloy development, processing, mechanical behavior, coatings, and environmental effects, studies can also involve technologies that contribute to improving manufacturability, affordability, life prediction, and performance of superalloys. Award recipients must travel to and attend the conference in order to receive the travel funds associated with this award.
Awards are presented in conjunction with the Materials Science and Technology Conference.
This scholarship is funded by the TMS Foundation and issued under the generosity of the TMS International Symposium on Superalloys Committee.
- The applicant must be a student member of Material Advantage.
- Applicants must be an undergraduate or graduate student enrolled full time in a metallurgical/materials science engineering program at a qualified college or university.
- Relatives of members of the funding committee/division are not eligible.
- Submitted coursework must be relevant to the scholarship for which the student is applying.
How to Apply
March 15 of each year
Please submit the following documents to complete the application process. Send applications including transcripts to the TMS Awards Staff. Recommendations can be e-mailed individually to the same email address.
- Completed application form.
- An individual statement describing unique educational experiences (e.g., special projects), career plans, leadership experience, involvement in a Material Advantage chapter, and community involvement. This statement should be no more than 200 words and double-spaced.
- CV (optional).
- An up-to-date transcript of your academic record.
- Three (3) TMS Scholarship Recommendation Forms from educators and/or employees who are familiar with your background.
You may apply for up to two TMS sponsored scholarships per year, however, TMS will only award one scholarship per student per year. If you are selected for more than one scholarship, you will automatically receive the one with the highest value.