One $1,000 scholarship is made to an undergraduate student majoring in metallurgical engineering, materials science and engineering, or minerals processing/extraction programs. In addition, a travel stipend of $500 is available for the recipient to attend the TMS Annual Meeting, to formally receive the scholarship. Award recipients must travel to and attend the conference in order to receive the travel funds associated with this award.
The scholarship is established to recognize the memory of Dr. Larry Kaufman for his contributions to computational thermodynamics and its applications. It is supported by CALPHAD Inc. and the TMS Foundation.
Scholarship donors include ASM International Boston Chapter, CALPHAD Inc., CompuTherm LLC, Sandra Kaufman, Zi-Kui Liu, Philip Spencer, Spencer Group Inc.
For more information on this award, view the bylaws .
- The applicant must be a student member of Material Advantage.
- Applicants must be an undergraduate sophomore or junior enrolled full time in a metallurgical/materials science engineering program at a qualified college or university.
- Relatives of members of the funding committee/division are not eligible.
- Submitted coursework must be relevant to the scholarship for which the student is applying.
How to Apply
March 15 of each year.
Please submit the following documents to complete the application process:
- Completed application form.
- An individual statement describing unique educational experiences (e.g., special projects), career plans, leadership experience, involvement in a Material Advantage chapter, and community involvement. This statement should be no more than 200 words and double-spaced.
- Three (3) TMS Scholarship Recommendation Forms from educators and/or employees who are familiar with your background.
- An up-to-date transcript of your academic record.
Applications must be sent in as one complete PDF packet in the order listed below (including transcripts and letters of recommendation) to the TMS Student Awards Program.
- Application Form
- Individual/Personal Statement
- CV (optional)
- Transcript (can be unofficial)
- Three letters of recommendation
You may apply for up to two TMS sponsored scholarships per year, however, TMS will only award one scholarship per student per year. If you are selected for more than one scholarship, you will automatically receive the one with the highest value.