Head of Division "Polymer Matrix Composites" (m/f/d)
Salary group B 1 BBesO (Director and Professor) / non-tariff remuneration
Official / permanent employment relationship
Full-time / suitable as part-time employment
The Bundesanstalt für Materialforschung und -prüfung (BAM) is a materials research organization in Germany. Our mission is to ensure safety in technology and chemistry. We perform research and testing in materials science, materials engineering and chemistry to improve the safety of products and processes. At BAM we do research that matters. Our work covers a broad array of topics in the focus areas of energy, infrastructure, environment, materials, and analytical sciences.
Join our team of dedicated scientific leaders!
Your responsibilities include:
Your responsibilities cover the technical and administrative management of the "Polymer Matrix Composites" division, with a topical focus on polymetric-matrix composites. The technical work ranges from fundamental scientific discoveries to industrial applications, with expected core activities in the area of mechanical lifetime optimization and the development of recyclable high-performance polymer-matrix composites. The Division Head will be responsible for implementing the division`s new changed focus towards polymer-matrix composites.
A successful candidate can demonstrate scientific excellence through third-party funding, peer-reviewed scientific publishing, and invited talks. You have experience in supervision and mentoring of young scientists across fundamental and applied research topics.
Your responsibilities furthermore include:
- Strategic, personnel and technical management of the division
- Management and motivation of a team of technical and scientific staff
- Initiation and implementation of research in the field of polymer-matrix composites
- Lead and/or promote the aquision of externally funded research projects
- Design of research projects for phd students and for postdoctoral researchers, as well as their supervision
- Supporting the institutional development and taking a proactive role in the development of BAM`s subject focus areas, especially in the field of materials
- Participation in national and international scientific networks, advisory boards, and standardization bodies
- Development of new and strengthening of existing collaborations with national and international partners
- Excellent scientific university degree in natural science or engineering, specializing in chemistry, physics, materials science
- An outstanding doctorate degree in one of the aforementioned fields and scientific achievements that significantly exceed a doctorate degree
- In-depth knowledge and several years of experience in scientific research and development of polymer-matrix composites
- Excellent fundamental understanding of fiber-matrix interface properties, thermo-mechanical properties, structure-property relationships, and mechanical property optimization
- Scientific-technical leadership and management experience in a scientific-technical area
- Extensive experience in independent research and in successfully acquiring third-party funding
- Extensive experience in publication and presentation of scientific results
- Several years of experience in the supervision of young scientists
- Fluent in English and German
- Experience in societal committee work, involvement in scientific networks, standardization, and governmental consulting is welcome
- A team-oriented working style, with excellent communication skills and high reflection skills
- Strong analytical skill, conceptual and creative thinking, excellent negotiation skills and a strong decision-making capability
- An attractive position at the interface between science, business, politics and administration
- A permanent employment
- Work in national and international networks with universities, research institutions and industrial companies
- Outstanding facilities and infrastructure
- Flexible working hours and mobile working
Applicants who meet the prerequisites will generally receive a salary according to BesGr. B 1 BBesO. A promotion according to BesGr. B 2 BBesO is possible at a later date provided that the applicant is suitably qualified, competent and performs professionally within the framework of the available positions.
In the case of applicants who do not meet the career requirements for federal officials at the time of recruitment, a non-tariff remuneration shall be agreed upon. The probation period in accordance with § 34 BLV and § 31 TVöD shall apply in this case.
In the case of foreign educational qualifications, we request that you send us the corresponding proof of equivalence with a German qualification. Further information can be found on the website of Central office for Foreign Education (ZAB) at http://www.kmk.org/themen/anerkennung-auslaendischer-abschluesse.html.
Candidates from the public sector shall be asked for a declaration of consent in order to consult their personal files. At the same time, you shall be prepared to carry out any subsequent inspection that may be necessary in accordance with the German Screening Act (Sicherheitsüberprüfungsgesetz - SÜG).
We welcome applications via the online application form by 23.07.2021. Alternatively, you can also send your application by post, quoting the reference number 63/21-P to:
Bundesanstalt für Materialforschung und -prüfung
Referat Z.3 - Personal
Unter den Eichen 87
The President of BAM, Prof. Ulrich Panne, will be glad to answer any specific questions you may have regarding this position by phone at +49 30 8104-1000 or by e-mail at Ulrich.Panne@bam.de. The Department Head, Prof. Robert Maaß can also be contacted for questions by phone at +49 30 8104-1500 or e-mail at Robert.Maass@bam.de.
BAM pursues the goal of professional equality between women and men. We therefore particularly welcome applications from women. In addition, BAM supports the integration of severely disabled persons and therefore especially welcomes their applications. With regard to the fulfilment of the job advertisement requirements, the application documents are examined individually. Recognized severely disabled persons will be given preferential consideration if they are equally suitable.
The advertised position requires a low level of physical aptitude.
BAM actively supports the compatibility of work and family and has been certified as a family- and life-phase-conscious employer by the “audit berufundfamilie” since 2015.